HEY! This Is Important: Vol. 4
HEY! This Is Important is a (semi) weekly series in which I examine developments in the past week that impact internet culture.
- I fear I may be late to the party, but I just recently discovered the many faces of ಠ_ಠ. ASCHII art and emoticons are such a nostalgic and fuzzy meme for me, I love discovering new creations.
- The Wealth & Poverty Desk from the Marketplace has a fascinating and nuanced look into the structural forces behind gentrification and what it means for rapidly-changing urban areas.
- John Herrman at the Awl examines the intoxicating “STFU and Build Something” mentality so endemic to startup culture, and finds that as important is building is, there may be value in thinking, too.
- Breaking news from the NYT: “Chicago and New York Officials Look to Build Uber-Like Apps for Taxis.” Better late than never, I suppose.
- Has anyone read anything good lately? Currently wrapping up The Humans by Matt Haig, and Lordo Rinzler’s Walk Like a Buddha: Even if Your Boss Sucks, Your Ex Is Torturing You, and You’re Hungover Again.